800-786-2178

Register

Login

Oklahoma apartment fire caused by cooking…

A frightening story recently came out of South Tulsa, Oklahoma. A neighbor in an apartment building accidentally set fire to the entire complex while cooking.

Cooking fire...

Cooking fire…

A portion of the displaced residents can come back  next week after professional crews deal with the fire damage and restore power. Several other groups of residents will not be as lucky in that they have declared their apartments completely destructed. To read the full story make sure you visit the KJRH website.

 

Comments (0) Blog

Read more

#1 Cause of Fires in Springfield Cooking Related

“The number one cause of fires in Springfield is unattended cooking,” said Dennis Leger, aide to Commissioner Joseph Conant in Springfield, MA this week.  According to a MassLive.com article, a cooking fire caused some $15,000 in damage to a home when shortly before 3 a.m., a resident dropped frozen French fries into a hot pan of oil on the stove.  Moisture in the French fries caused the oil to froth and spill over onto the burner, igniting the blaze.  Sadly two women, one aged 65 and one 34, lost their lives recently in the same area because of cooking related fires.  In addition to having a fire extinguisher and knowing how to use it, a range top suppression system like ours at GSSI would save lives and property from cooking fires.  To learn more, follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/GuardianSSI.

cover art 3 fireman

 

Comments (0) Blog, Residential

Read more

Precious Kitty Saved from Cooking Fire…

Recently there was a very scary situation in San Angelo, TX. A gorgeous cat was the sole victim in an unattended cooking fire. “It had difficulty breathing,” Battalion Chief Fred Barnett said. “We recommended it be taken to the vet.”

The fire was caused when the resident left the home to pick up their children. They thought they had turned off the stove but it had been on. Thankfully all seems well with the cute cat! The lesson is triple check that you turn off the stove before you leave home!

Cooking fire...

Cooking fire…

-Guardian Staff

Comments (0) Blog

Read more

Get Ready for Fire Prevention Week October 6 – 12!

WDEL-AM Delaware http://wdel.com/story.php?id=53367 reports that the Office of the State Fire Marshal said that an apartment building fire that caused dozens to be displaced started in a third-floor  kitchen. Officials say cooking materials on the stove top ignited, burning one man severely and causing $1 million in damages.

This is one of many fires each year and is why we observe Fire Prevention Week  from October 6-12 joining forces with the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) to teach everyone how to prevent kitchen fires.

Guardian SSI will be spreading the word about the dangers of kitchen fires most of which result from unattended cooking. NFPA reports cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire-related injuries.

You can prevent cooking fires by:

  • Staying in the kitchen when you are cooking.
  • When you cook, wear sleeveless clothing or with tight-fitting sleeves.
  • Keep potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper and plastic bags, drapes and towels away from your stovetop.
  • Clean food and grease off burners and stovetops.
  • Have a fire extinguisher close by and learn how to use it!

More information will be coming as we get closer to Fire Prevention Week.

Comments (0) Blog, Residential

Read more