“The number one cause of fires in Springfield is unattended cooking,” said Dennis Leger, aide to Commissioner Joseph Conant in Springfield, MA this week. According to a MassLive.com article, a cooking fire caused some $15,000 in damage to a home when shortly before 3 a.m., a resident dropped frozen French fries into a hot pan of oil on the stove. Moisture in the French fries caused the oil to froth and spill over onto the burner, igniting the blaze. Sadly two women, one aged 65 and one 34, lost their lives recently in the same area because of cooking related fires. In addition to having a fire extinguisher and knowing how to use it, a range top suppression system like ours at GSSI would save lives and property from cooking fires. To learn more, follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/GuardianSSI.