Kindergarteners Learn Cooking Fire Safety

alma studentsAlma Michigan Kindergarten kids learned all about cooking safety according to the Morning Sun during Fire Prevention Week.  According to the Sun, “Volunteer firefighters spread the word that more fires start in the kitchen than in any other part of the home and teaching the students how to keep cooking fires from starting in the first place. The volunteer firefighters visited four schools and talked to approximately 725 elementary students.”

To read the whole article, click here.

Comments (0) Blog, Residential

Read more

Get Ready for Fire Prevention Week October 6 – 12!

WDEL-AM Delaware reports that the Office of the State Fire Marshal said that an apartment building fire that caused dozens to be displaced started in a third-floor  kitchen. Officials say cooking materials on the stove top ignited, burning one man severely and causing $1 million in damages.

This is one of many fires each year and is why we observe Fire Prevention Week  from October 6-12 joining forces with the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) to teach everyone how to prevent kitchen fires.

Guardian SSI will be spreading the word about the dangers of kitchen fires most of which result from unattended cooking. NFPA reports cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire-related injuries.

You can prevent cooking fires by:

  • Staying in the kitchen when you are cooking.
  • When you cook, wear sleeveless clothing or with tight-fitting sleeves.
  • Keep potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper and plastic bags, drapes and towels away from your stovetop.
  • Clean food and grease off burners and stovetops.
  • Have a fire extinguisher close by and learn how to use it!

More information will be coming as we get closer to Fire Prevention Week.

Comments (0) Blog, Residential

Read more