Thanks in large part to advances in medicine, seniors are living longer and are a rapidly growing segment of the U.S. and world population. But health issues are not the only threat to the longevity of the elderly. After medical issues, the leading cause of death and injury for older Americans are accidents and fires. There are ways for seniors or their caretakers to help avoid some accidents, but fires are not only highly preventable, kitchen fires can be effectively stopped in their tracks. For the elderly, particularly aging men, this could mean the difference between life and death.
Paul Rouse, chief administrative officer and fire suppression educator at Dallas-based Guardian Safety Solutions International, a 34-year veteran of the fire industry and technical consultant for Underwriters Laboratory notes:
- Cooking was, by far, the leading cause of all residential building fires and injuries.
- The relative risk of individuals aged 65+ dying in a fire is 2.5 times greater than the general population.
- In 2001, the elderly (over 64 years old) represented 12% of the U.S. population but suffered more than 30% of all fire deaths.
- Older males are 50% more likely to die in fires than women.
- Older American Indians and African Americans are at much greater risk of dying in a fire than the older white population.
Protecting families worldwide since 1985, Guardian Safety Solutions International Inc. is the recognized leader in the development and manufacturing of residential range top fire protection systems. GSSI’s mission is to develop and distribute quality safety products that provide customers with peace of mind, while protecting lives and property. See ICC-ES Listing No PMG-1166 at www.icc-es.org\pmg.