800-786-2178

Register

Login

Guardian SSI Observes National Fire Prevention Week October 9 – 15

Guardian Site Logo

Guardian SSI Observes National Fire Prevention Week October 9 – 15

 Offers 10 Tips for Kitchen Fire Safety

Dallas – October 09, 2016 – Guardian Safety Solutions International, Inc. (GSSI), the nation’s largest provider of range top fire suppression systems, celebrates National Fire Prevention Week October 9 – 15. Based on 2009-2013 annual averages cooking equipment was the leading cause of home fires and fire injuries, causing 46% of home fires that resulted in 19% of the home fire deaths and 44% of the injuries. Two-thirds of home cooking fires started with the ignition of food or other cooking materials. Frying poses the greatest risk of fire. (Statistics from the National Fire Protection Association.)

Ranges or cooktops accounted for the majority (61%) of home cooking fire incidents. “Prevention is the core of our ‘Guardian Solution’ range top suppression system. That’s why we observe fire prevention all year, not just this week,” said Paul Rouse, GSSI’s administrative officer. “The time to protect yourself against a range top fire is before it strikes. By installing the Guardian, you can rest at ease.” He added that kitchens can be retrofitted as well. With the system, a fire can be extinguished in as little as seven seconds (video).

10 tips for kitchen fire safety are:

  1. Never leave a room while cooking.
  2. If you must leave the room while cooking, turn off the stove.
  3. Keep pot handles turned to the back of the stove so children cannot grab them.
  4. Wear short sleeves or tight sleeves while cooking so nothing dangles near a flame.
  5. Keep paper, towels, pot holders, wooden utensils and curtains away from the cooking area.
  6. Have one or more fire extinguishers handy and know how to use them.
  7. Keep stove tops clean; remove built up grease and spilled food.
  8. Never throw water on a grease fire – smother it with a pan lid instead.
  9. Keep children and pets out of the “kid-free” zone three feet from the stove.
  10. Have a fire escape plan, and review and rehearse it often.

The Guardian is designed to detect and extinguish cooking fires and at the same time prevents re-ignition. Once it detects heat at a pre-determined temperature, a signal is sent to release the extinguishing agent to suppress the fire and to shut off the gas or electric supply to the stove in order to prevent reigniting.  “Whether it is a single home, apartment, senior housing, dormitory or church at risk, putting the fire out quickly is imperative to minimize damage and injury,” Rouse said.

For more information, contact GSSI at 800-786-2178 or visit www.guardianssi.com. Visit on Facebook at www.facebook.com/GuardianSSI and on Twitter @GuardianSSI.

About GSSI

Protecting families worldwide since 1985, Guardian Safety Solutions International Inc. is the recognized leader in the development and manufacturing of residential range top fire protection systems. GSSI’s mission is to develop and distribute quality safety products that provide customers with peace of mind, while protecting lives and property. GSSI manufactures the Guardian III Model G300B, UL and ULC listed with a fuel shut-off.

Press contact:

Susan M. Tellem, APR, RN, BSN, Tellem Grody PR, Inc.

310-313-3444 x1; susan@tellemgrodypr.com

Comments (0) Boats, Churches, Colleges, Commercial occupancies, Fire marshals, fire stations, hospitals, Hotels and Motels, Press Releases

Read more

All Senior Housing Needs Guardian Protection

By Alex Napoliello | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

A fire at a sprawling senior assisted living facility led officials to evacuate nearly 60 residents on Sunday morning, police said.

fireJackson police Capt. Steven Laskiewicz said no one was injured in the blaze, which started at 7:15 a.m. and was contained to the third floor.

However, the fire caused an evacuation of Bella Terra assisted living facility, located at 2 Kathleen Drive. Laskiewicz said 33 residents were taken to Jackson Liberty High School, while family members picked up another 26 residents. In all, 44 rooms were evacuated.

The Bella Terra staff is working on a long-term housing plan for the residents, who lived in Building D.

Jackson police and firefighters from Jackson Mills Fire Company and Jackson Station 55 were the first to arrive on the scene. The flames were quickly extinguished by the sprinkler system, Laskiewicz said.

The sprinklers caused flooding in one of the stairwells, police said.

More than 20 police, fire and EMS agencies from Ocean and Monmouth counties assisted at the scene.

It’s unclear how the fire started. It remained under investigation as of Sunday morning.

The fire does not appear to be suspicious, Laskiewicz said.

Alex Napoliello may be reached at anapoliello@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @alexnapoNJ. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

Comments (0) Blog, Senior Living

Read more