GuardianSSI Warns Families About Thanksgiving Cooking Fires
10 Tips for Cooking Safety
Guardian Safety Solutions International, Inc. (GSSI) warns families that Thanksgiving can be hazardous to their health. More cooking fires are reported on Thanksgiving than any other day of the year. About 45 house fires are reported every hour in the U.S., and 60 percent of apartment fires are started by cooking equipment. Sadly, children and the elderly make up the greatest national percentage of injury and death due to household fires.
“Thanksgiving is a special day with relatives, but answering the door to welcome guests can distract even the most careful cook,” said Paul Rouse, GSSI administrative officer. “Alcohol during Thanksgiving celebrations can also add to cooking inattentiveness. Next thing you know, a fire starts consuming the stove, curtains and other flammable material in the kitchen.”
10 tips for Thanksgiving cooking fire safety:
- Never leave a room while cooking.
- If you must leave the room while cooking, turn off the stove.
- Keep pot handles turned to the back of the stove so children cannot grab them.
- Wear short sleeves or tight sleeves while cooking so nothing dangles near a flame.
- Keep paper, towels, pot holders, wooden utensils and curtains away from the cooking area.
- Have one or more fire extinguishers handy and know how to use them.
- Keep stove tops clean; remove built up grease and spilled food.
- Never throw water on a grease fire – smother it with a pan lid instead.
- Keep children and pets in the “kid-free” zone three feet from the stove.
- Have a fire escape plan, and review and rehearse it often.
“The time to protect yourself against a range top fire is before it strikes. By simply installing the Guardian, you can rest at ease and party safely.” With the system, a fire can be extinguished in as little as seven seconds (video).
The Guardian is designed to detect and extinguish cooking fires and at the same time
prevents re-ignition. Once it detects heat at a pre-determined temperature, a signal is sent to release the extinguishing agent to suppress the fire and to shut off the gas or electric supply to the stove in order to prevent reigniting. “Whether it is a single home or an apartment at risk, putting the fire out quickly is imperative to minimize damage and injury,” Rouse said.
Protecting families worldwide since 1985, Guardian Safety Solutions International Inc. is the recognized leader in the development and manufacturing of residential range top fire protection systems. GSSI’s mission is to develop and distribute quality safety products that provide customers with peace of mind, while protecting lives and property. GSSI manufactures the Guardian III Model G300B, UL and ULC listed with a fuel shut-off.
Susan Tellem, APR, RN, BSN; Tellem Grody PR, Inc.; firstname.lastname@example.org; 310 313-3444 x1