800-786-2178

Register

Login

Cooking Fire Safety on the Menu for Seniors

seniors and cooking safetyBognor Fire Station’s Green Watch helped those over 65 at the UK’s Laburnum Centre, Lyon Street, when the firefighters explained how to reduce the risk of kitchen fires.

According to the Bognor Regis Observer in the UK, “recent figures revealed that around two-thirds of the accidental house fires in West Sussex start in the kitchen, with many caused by careless or unattended cooking.”

As GaurdianSSI always reminds folks, a lapse of concentration can have devastating consequences especially for seniors who have a higher rate of injuries and deaths from cooking fires.

The firefighters covered a range of safety advice including:

. If you are called away take pans off the heat

. Clean toasters, hobs and grill pans regularly to avoid a build-up of crumbs or fat which can easily catch fire

. Keep your cooker top clear and don’t put oven gloves or tea towels down onto a hot cooker after you’ve used them

. Ditch your old chip pan! Consider using a thermostatically controlled deep-fat fryer or swap to oven chips instead

. If you do have a fire in the kitchen, don’t take any risks – get everyone out and dial 999.

. Working smoke alarms really do save lives – make sure you have on each level of your home and test them weekly.

You can find more cooking safety information by visiting www.westsussex.gov.uk/fire.

Comments (0) Blog, Senior Living

Read more

Marriage Proposal Ruined by Cooking Fire

The Inquisitor reports that Isaiah Cox popped the marriage question to his girlfriend which also happened to be her birthday.  To celebrate, he wanted to make her special breakfast.  But a nasty grease fire started in the kitchen and the house and proposal went up in smoke.

house fireThe South Jersey Times reports that he heard his son crying and went to check on him. Cox claims he was only gone for a minute but when he returned to the kitchen, the cabinets were on fire. While there was a fire extinguisher, he got confused and forgot to use it.

The South Jersey Times says, “the Millville Fire Chief Kurt Hess notes that the fire took quite some time to finally get under control. The firefighters were dispatched to the home at around 10:15 a.m. and the fire was not under control until 1 p.m.”  Read more here.

Comments (0) Blog, Residential

Read more