Guardian Safety Solutions International (GSSI) warns families that the holidays can be hazardous to their health. About 45 house fires are reported every hour in the U.S., and 60 percent of apartment fires are started by cooking equipment. Sadly, children and the elderly make up the greatest national percentage of injury and death due to household fires.
“The holidays offer the opportunity for special meals with relatives, but answering the door to welcome guests can distract even the most savvy cook,” said Paul Rouse, GSSI administrative officer. “Alcohol during celebrations can also add to cooking inattentiveness. Next thing you know, a fire starts consuming the stove, curtains and other flammable material in the kitchen.” The popularity of turkey deep fryers has added another hazard to the celebration. The cooking oil temperature is extremely hot. Rouse said that they should be used as far from the house as possible. “It’s important to note that not one turkey fryer has been certified as safe by Underwriters Laboratories,” Rouse added.
“Prevention is the core of our “Guardian Solution,’ or range top suppression system,” said Rouse. “The time to protect yourself against a range top fire is before it strikes. By simply installing the Guardian, property owners, residents and relatives can rest at ease knowing that potential cooking fires stand no chance in a Guardian protected kitchen.” He added that kitchens can be retrofitted as well.
With the system, a fire can be extinguished in as little as seven seconds.
The Guardian is designed to detect and extinguish cooking fires and at the same time prevents re-ignition. Once it detects heat at a pre-determined temperature, a signal is sent to release the extinguishing agent to suppress the fire and to shut off the gas or electric supply to the stove in order to prevent reigniting. The design of the system offers:
- • automatic operation
- • continuous 24-hour protection
- • concealed installation
- • easy clean-up
- • proven reliability
“Whether it is a single home or an apartment at risk, putting the fire out quickly is imperative to minimize damage and injury to you and your family during the holidays,” Rouse said. “The Guardian system provides that speed and protection.”